Friday, July 6, 2007

I haven't used my brain lately.

My apologies to my regular readers. After my job hunt ended (thank goodness), Kurt and Clayton went on summer adventures and left me to watch WAAAAAAY too much TV for a week with my sister. It’s amazing how the tele can zap your ability to think altogether.

After such a week, I needed some recovery time, to let my brain reboot. Then, I started my new job and didn’t really have a chance to think about what I was thinking.

But things have calmed down a little bit, so here I am…

First of all, I truly love my new job. I must admit, the actual tasks of the job aren’t all that exciting (especially when you compare them to my last job) but the environment in which I work, and the people with whom I work are soooooo amazing, that the work is thoroughly enjoyable. A few examples:

On my third day of work, it became known that I had a tongue ring until January 2007. Rather than scolding and lecture or disbelief in such an atrocity, I was met with curiosity and humor about such a thing. Before long, there were about 10 people gathered around my cubicle asking me about the experience of getting it pierced and of living with it for nearly 8 years. They were asking me to stick out my tongue to see the hole that is left behind. The best part: 3 of the spectators were partners in the firm! This is not a stuffy CPA firm, no way!

Also on my third day of work, Wed, June 27, the air conditioner stopped working. On Wednesday evening, when it had been established the air wasn’t going to be fixed, the office manager called me and said “there is no dress code until further notice. Wear jungle appropriate attire.” He wasn’t kidding. They only got it running yesterday and it is still waaaaaay hot in here. We have been without a dress code for over a week. Granted, it isn’t busy season and there aren’t a lot of professional meetings happening these days, but still…..the powers that be are entirely concerned with the well being of their staff. They would rather explain to clients why their accountants are running around in tank tops and shorts than have us feeling crappy (which we were anyway for a couple of the hotter afternoons).

So, MHFA is going to be my home for a while and I’m very happy about that. When I made the decision to go back into the business world, I was worried that I would just be working to make it through, that I would be counting the hours until I could find another church to work in. I don’t think that’s going to be the case.

I remember how overwhelmed I was with God’s grace and providence when I found Good Shepherd. I’m feeling that way again. I don’t think it was in God’s plan for me to have to leave GSLC, but since it happened, He has now found a way for my life to still be filled with meaning and a sense of worth (and I can pay the bills too!). Yay God! Who’da thunk?!?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erin, I was just procrastinating a bit and saw this on MSN. It's exactly what I was looking for when we talked about this a few weeks ago. Overall, I think this is a great plan. Heed the do's and do not's list!
    http://health.msn.com/dietfitness/runningarticlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100166371&GT1=10212

    ReplyDelete